ABC NewsBy MAX GOLEMBO and EMILY SHAPIRO, ABC News(NEW YORK) — A deadly snowstorm is slamming the Northeast, closing schools and dropping nearly 4 feet of snow in some areas.The latest:Two people were killed after weather conditions led to a pileup of dozens of cars in Clinton County, Pennsylvania, on Wednesday night.New York state saw two fatalities and about 600 car accidents, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.In New Jersey, the storm delayed some vaccine deliveries, Gov. Phil Murphy said.Murphy said he was “not aware of any place that was expecting it that won’t get it” because of the storm. “It just may be a little later than otherwise expected.”Newark Valley, New York, west of Binghamton, saw 44 inches of snow. Binghamton reported 40 inches, half of the city’s yearly snowfall, in less than 24 hours as snowfall rates reached 3 inches per hour overnight.Snow is ongoing in New York City and Boston, where in-person learning was canceled on Thursday.With 10 inches of snowfall, this marks New York City’s biggest snowstorm since January 2016. In Manhattan, outdoor dining is scheduled to resume Thursday night. Indoor dining had been banned starting on Monday because of COVID-19.Albany, New York, has gotten 18 inches so far, while Hartford, Connecticut, reported 11 inches.The forecast:The snowstorm is forecast to leave New York City and toward New England.Snow likely will continue in New England and Boston through the afternoon.Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine could see up to 6 more inches.It will stay cold over the next few days, keeping the snow from melting. Black ice will be a major threat over the next week because temperatures will fall well below freezing overnight.The Northeast is forecast to see the coldest air of the season on Friday, with wind chills falling below zero in Maine and to the single digits and teens elsewhere in the region.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
As part of the ongoing efforts to inform Notre Dame students about the use and misuse of alcohol, the Office of Drug and Alcohol Education, PILLARS and student government are sponsoring Alcohol Awareness Week on campus. “It’s extremely relevant to college students and their lifestyle,” student body president Catherine Soler said. “We think promoting education and awareness, not necessarily abstinence from drinking altogether, but more responsible behavior is always a good thing.” While Soler said she does not think the drinking situation at Notre Dame is especially alarming relative to most universities, she said it is still an important issue to keep in mind. “We’ve been doing some benchmarking for other off-campus issues at other schools. At Boston College they have a really big drinking problem right now,” Soler said. “It’s the mindset in college and at big universities that everything needs to have a pregame. I think it’s a national trend and something to keep an eye on.” Soler said informing students through events like Alcohol Awareness Week is important to preventing drinking at Notre Dame from becoming a problem. “I don’t think we’ve reached the point at Notre Dame where we need to panic, but hopefully by raising awareness we won’t have a problem,” Soler said. Soler said she thinks the University’s alcohol policies put students in a slightly different position compared to other college students. “I do think it’s unique that we don’t have a dry campus,” she said. “We think it’s an opportunity that we’re trusted with a little responsibility in the dorms that we should take advantage of it by being responsible with what we’re doing.” To help with the educational aspect of the week, Monday kicked off an informational campaign, which included posters, cab phone number cards distributed to dorms along with various events later in the week. “They’re going to be table tents in the dining halls, we’re planning a big poster campaign on The Wall and in academic buildings. They’re going to have beer goggles and different activities out on Fieldhouse Mall” Soler said. “We’re also having a mock tailgate on Saturday before the game.” The events at Fieldhouse Mall include an information table with free non-alcoholic “mocktails” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday and a “Food and Fun” event on Friday from 10:30 p.m. to midnight, sponsored by Student Activities Office. Soler said she hopes this weeks programming will not only enable students to be smarter and safer with alcohol but will also help improve the standing of students in the community. “I think there’s a lot of things we can take away from this week as far as thinking of drinking in a different way, or of the consequences,” she said. “I think we can definitely improve our situation in the community if we can be more responsible with the drinking and improving our attitude towards alcohol.”
Nigel Adkins refuses to accept defeat in Reading’s battle to stay in the Barclays Premier League, despite conceding their outlook is bleak. The Royals, who are eight points adrift of safety with six games remaining, host Liverpool on Saturday knowing an eighth successive loss in the competition would all but doom them to relegation. Yet Adkins insists hope remains provided they can stage a late revival, drawing on last season’s drive for promotion from the npower Championship as inspiration. “We are where we are in the league, let’s not hide away from that. We face an uphill task but all we can do is focus on one game at a time,” he said. “We have to have the mentality of playing winning football and keep looking to the future. The momentum has gone against us with the run of results we’ve had recently, so we need to see if we can establish some momentum. “Last season this club showed in the Championship that if you get the right momentum you can go the other way as well.” Adkins has lost all three matches since becoming manager last month and Reading chairman Sir John Madejski has revealed he would not have sacked his predecessor Brian McDermott. Madejski also stated that some Royals fans prefer the Championship to the Premier League, which he described as “bit of a procession”, but Adkins wants to spend another season in the top flight. “I was as gobsmacked as anyone when Brian was relieved of his duties but that’s football. And I speak from my own experience,” the former Southampton boss said. “This is my first season in the Premier League and I’ve loved every second of it. It’s where I want to ply my trade. “We have several games left and we’ll see where we are at the end of the season, but my desire is to make sure Reading stay here. If we’re not in the Premier league next season, we’ll strive to get ourselves back in straightaway.” Press Association
The #Padres have optioned RHP Chris Paddack to Single-A Lake Elsinore and recalled RHP Robert Stock from Triple-A El Paso.— San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 12, 2019Paddack is 4-4 with a 3.15 ERA this season with 72 strikeouts in 65 2/3 innings.The 23-year-old has never thrown more than 90 innings in a season.San Diego is 33-34 on the season and 11 1/2 games back of the Dodgers for first place in the NL West.But, the team is five games back of the second wild-card spot, so the playoffs are by no means out of reach.The Padres reportedly have interest in Indians starter Trevor Bauer, so they don’t seem to be tanking just yet.However, according to The Athletic, there are several executives who believe the team could go into sell mode and make some deals soon.If that happens, closer Kirby Yates — who is a perfect 23 for 23 in save opportunities this season — could be on the block. As for Paddack, odds are the team wants him to throw about 120 to 130 innings this season as it has increased his innings by about 45 each year since drafting him in 2015.It should also be noted Paddack has struggled of late, allowing 16 earned runs in his last five starts in 25 innings (5.76 ERA) after surrendering a total of seven in his previous seven starts over the span of 40 2/3 innings (1.55 ERA). Chris Paddack has been optioned to the minors.The Padres’ National League Rookie of the Year candidate will be sent down in an effort to limit his innings, the team announced.
MASON CITY — Nobody was injured after emergency crews responded to the Mason City Municipal Airport on Wednesday afternoon for an emergency landing. At about 1:45 PM, an indicator on an Air Choice One flight showed that the landing gear was not locked down into place. The plane circled above the airport while crews on the ground visually inspected the landing gear. The Beechcraft 1900 with five people on board including crew were able to safely land at the airport without incident. The Mason City Fire Department assisted airport officials with the plane landing.
ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 26, 2016)–A close fourth early, favored Hawkedon shot through an opening at the rail a furlong out and went on to an impressive 1 ¾ length win in Friday’s $58,000 Santa Anita allowance feature under Rafael Bejarano. Trained by Mike Puype, the 7-year-old Macho Uno gelding covered 6 ½ furlongs down the hillside turf course in 1:13.19.A close second over the course here on Feb. 4, Hawkedon was off at 8-5 in a field of 10 older horses and paid $5.40, $3.20 and $2.60.“He ended up getting through today,” said Puype. “Rafael took a shot and stayed down near the rail and that was big. This horse loves this course. He runs hard every time, tries hard every time.”Owned by Janina Gasparrelli, Hawkedon now has three wins and three seconds from nine tries down the hill and is 16-4-3-1 overall. With the winner’s share of $34,800, he increased his earnings to $144,470.St. Joe Bay, who was part of a three-horse speed brigade that included Incline Village and Cardiac, finished second with Joe Talamo and paid $4.60 and $3.40.Ridden by Drayden Van Dyke, Daddy D T rallied late to finish a length and a quarter behind St. Joe Bay and paid $4.00 to show.Fractions on the race were 21.67, 43.78 and 1:07.18.First post time for a nine-race card on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.
When you conjure with genes, you never know what might appear. Japanese scientists, publishing in PNAS,1 tried to find evolution in mammalian retroposons and found an unexpected relationship. New Scientist explains: “You could call it a batty idea, but bats seem to be more closely related to horses than cows are.” “Despite the recent large-scale efforts dedicated to comprehensive phylogenetic analyses using mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences,” the trio said, “several relationships among mammalian orders remain controversial.” They compared mammalian orders using L1 retroposons, and that’s when the unexpected affinity between bats and horses jumped out. They even suggested a new name for the super-order that contains the two: “Pegasoferae.”1Nishihara, Hasegawa and Okada, “Pegasoferae, an unexpected mammalian clade revealed by tracking ancient retroposon insertions,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, published online before print June 19, 2006, 10.1073/pnas.0603797103.What a great subplot to add to endless tale. There must have been some truth to the old Greek myths after all. Centaurs cannot be far behind. More funny than the mythical fantasyland conjured up by the evolutionary molecular Chaldeans is the seriousness with which they admit that their evolutionary trees remain controversial despite large-scale efforts to resolve them. “We need to look at fossils from a new point of view, because there must have been a common ancestor of bats, horses and dogs,” one of them said. There must have been, you see; this is the deductive premise of evolutionary research, which cannot be questioned. (We agree about the advice to look at fossils from a new point of view.) So we must keep trying to find the magic spells in the DNA code that bring back the tree of life and of knowledge of good and evil. We can’t keep the horses and cows together any longer, even though they both eat hay and work weekend gigs as extras in Westerns. Maybe if we put bat wings on this horse, the idea will fly. But then each new proposal yields similar interjections of surprise: “I think this will be a surprise for many scientists,” one of the researchers remarked; “No one expected this.” Oh, really?*(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
The California Utilities Commission has now launched the process for implementing a new law to make the state’s homes more climate-friendly and affordable to heat. The commission is also considering other broad measures aimed at decarbonizing California’s buildings. The focus on buildings is necessary and arguably overdue. California recently set a goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2045, and the state aims to cut greenhouse gas emissions 40% from 1990 levels within the next decade. Cleaning up the building sector will be critical to these goals. As California Public Utilities (PUC) president Michael Picker explained, “Renewable electricity alone isn’t enough to help us meet our 2030 greenhouse gas reduction goals; we also need to electrify our homes and buildings to reduce the use of fossil fuels in California. Twenty-five percent of total emissions in California are from homes and buildings and we must make headway on reducing these emissions to meet the state’s overall aggressive climate goals.”RELATED ARTICLESThe California ModelCalifornia’s Push for Carbon-Free ElectricityCalifornia Project Tinkers With a Net-Zero FutureHeating Is the Next Clean Energy FrontierTaking Aim at California’s Low-Carbon Target The concept of building decarbonization goes beyond reducing energy use and “zero net energy” (meaning the total amount of energy used by the building on an annual basis is roughly equal to the amount of renewable energy it generates). Instead, it focuses squarely on reducing emissions, which can be achieved both by cutting energy consumption and by using cleaner energy sources such as electricity generated from renewable resources like wind and solar. Decarbonization requires attention to issues such as burning fossil fuels in buildings, particularly for heating and hot water. Two hundred million dollars earmarked for two new programs The commission, as required by SB 1477 passed last year, will develop two new programs to launch as early as July 1 this year: Building Initiative for Low Emissions Development (BUILD), and Technology and Equipment for Clean Heating (TECH). Each is designed to test different approaches to decarbonizing buildings. The programs will receive $200 million in funding over four years from natural gas utility carbon allowance proceeds from the state’s cap-and-trade program. BUILD will focus on new buildings, encouraging technologies that push emissions savings beyond what could be achieved with building standards that are already in place. These options can include high-efficiency heat pumps, solar thermal heating, energy efficiency, and batteries to store solar energy. TECH will focus on low-emissions space and water heating technologies for both new and existing homes. Switching to highly efficient electric heat pumps, for example, is imperative to meeting the state’s climate goals, as about 90% of California’s furnaces and water heaters currently run on natural gas or propane. Both programs stand to lower not just greenhouse gas emissions, but costs for consumers. With policy support behind these new technologies, upfront costs will drop, and so will energy bills. Nearly a third of the funding for BUILD must be spent on new low-income housing, where families tend to spend a higher percentage of their income on energy bills. Already, the commission has approved a pilot program that will wean more than 1,600 homes from fossil fuels by helping San Joaquin Valley low-income homeowners and renters install high-efficiency electric heat pumps and other energy efficiency upgrades. That effort is expected to save participating households about $1,500 in energy costs each year, while also slashing local air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Other opportunities The PUC also is considering building decarbonization opportunities in addition to what is required to implement SB 1477. One new focus area is strengthening incentives for homes being rebuilt after wildfires. Utilities “have limited ability to offer increased incentives to customers who agree to make permanent decarbonization investments when rebuilding damaged homes,” the PUC says, opening the possibility for pilot programs that encourage going all-electric. The state’s building and appliance standards also offer decarbonization opportunities. The new rulemaking proceeding will consider how PUC policies and programs can help speed up adoption of emissions-reducing technologies, paving the way for the adoption of stronger building codes and standards. Importantly, the commission also intends to create a framework to support building decarbonization through all of the tools available to the agency. This could include rates, programs, incentives, planning processes, and other direction it gives to the utilities. We need this kind of holistic thinking about how to make buildings part of the climate solution. Panama Bartholomy, director of the Building Decarbonization Coalition that includes NRDC, argues that “We need a long-term strategy across regulatory bodies in California to drive down costs and quickly grow consumer experience with low-emission technologies.” Across the country, from suburban homes to high-rise office buildings, too many buildings remain yoked to fossil fuels. California’s approach ultimately could offer a model that other states can follow to both reduce climate pollution and improve housing affordability. Merrian Borgeson is a senior scientist in the Natural Resources Defense Council’s Climate & Clean Energy Program. This post originally appeared at the NRDC Expert Blog.
London, Nov 23 (AFP) Former England manager Glenn Hoddle is recuperating at home after suffering a cardiac arrest last month, a spokesman said on Friday. The 61-year-old, who fell ill shortly after an appearance as a TV pundit for BT Sport, had received “exemplary” care in hospital, the spokesman said in the statement. “After being taken ill on Saturday 27th October, Glenn received specialist care at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London,” the statement read. “To aid his recovery from a cardiac arrest, Glenn underwent surgery. He responded well to treatment and is now at home recuperating from the procedure. “The care that Glenn received from St Bartholomew’s Hospital was exemplary. His family would like to thank the hospital staff and the many people who have sent supportive messages.” As well as managing England in the late 1990s, Hoddle made 53 appearances for the Three Lions between 1979 and 1988 and was considered one of the most gifted players of his generation. He is best remembered for his time at Tottenham Hotspur, where he won the UEFA Cup and two FA Cups, but he also excelled at Monaco, winning the French league title in 1988. (AFP) ATKATK