Limerick on Covid watch list WhatsApp Facebook TAGSanti social behaviourCommunityLimerick City and Countylocal news Twitter NewsCommunityLocal NewsGardaí urged to prioritise Janesboro blackspotBy Alan Jacques – April 18, 2019 1846 TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Linkedin Previous articleListen: Limerick Post News Roundup April 20, 2019Next articleAngela is still flying it at 75 Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Sarah Kiely at The Boro Field.A GREEN space in Janesboro, which is being used for illegal dumping and antisocial behaviour, should be developed into a community centre with astro turf pitches and a dog-walking area.That’s the view of Fine Gael City East local election hopeful Sarah Kiely who spoke this week about the concerns of residents living in Janesboro.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The green space, which is next to Janesboro AFC’s grounds, is known locally as ‘The Boro Field’ and Ms Kiely says it should now be made a priority by Gardaí.“The current issues include illegal dumping of garden waste and more importantly, household rubbish. Some houses in Colbert Avenue have back gardens backing on to this site and it is an obvious negative for them.“Horses are often left there for days and animal welfare is a huge concern. They have no shelter and the owners are unknown,” she told the Limerick Post.“When scramblers and quads are being used there is a serious risk to safety. They are used on the main roads and avenues of Rathbane and Janesboro, making their way down to the field where mayhem takes over. Dog walkers are fearful and kids can’t play safely.”Sarah believes community policing would go a long way to addressing some of the issues.“Visibility is also key.“The solution is not a simple one. It will take input from residents and the council as well as the Gardaí on a meaningful level. Immediate intervention is required from a safety aspect so if enough people contact the Gardaí, it would put it up the list of priorities.”She is proposing that the area, also known as ‘The Wild Boro’, is used to develop astro turf pitches and a dog-walking area.“A community centre is also badly needed. I know that’s a massive undertaking but we might as well go big or go home. If we had a representative on the council, we could advocate for this at a local and national level. There are lots of ways to access funding, we just need to give it serious effort with multidisciplinary input from all local stakeholders.“The fact is Old Christians GAA club and Janesboro AFC pay to use Younger Munsters astro turf during the winter. Why can’t a community our size have our own?“Not only would it be fantastic for our clubs, it would go a long way to addressing some of the issues that are having an adverse impact on the community. Rathbane, Kennedy and Glasgow Park, Carey’s Road and Janesboro would all benefit from this proposal,” she concluded. Print Advertisement Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Population of Mid West region increased by more than 3,000 in past year Unstoppable Sean shows that all things are possible
After reclaiming the No. 1 ranking, the USC men’s water polo team will be put to the test against fellow Mountain Pacific Sports Federation member No. 7 Long Beach State this Saturday at McDonald’s Swim Stadium.The Trojans (16-1, 3-0) previously sat at No. 3 following a one-goal loss to UCLA at the NorCal Tournament, but after nine consecutive victories — including six over a three day span last weekend — the Trojans return to the spot that they held going into the season.Sophomore two-meter Matt Burton says regaining the No. 1 ranking means a lot to the the Trojans, as they take on a fiercly competitive Long Beach State team Saturday at McDonald’s Swim Stadium. – Jonathan Wong|Daily Trojan“It meant a lot to us [to regain No. 1], we want to get back to the top, we know everyone’s gunning for us,” sophomore two-meter Matt Burton said.Earlier this season, the Trojans visited Long Beach to compete in the 49ers’ (6-6, 0-1) season opener, handedly defeating Long Beach State 12-3. In the game, Burton and senior driver Justin Rappel both had hat tricks to help the Trojans cruise to victory.The teams’ first matchup was a non-conference affair, but this time their meeting is the beginning of Trojans’ Mountain Pacific Sports Federation schedule. The Trojans will play five of their final six games against MPSF foes before the beginning of the MPSF tournament in late November.After not going a weekend without playing at least two games since their first match up with the 49ers, the Trojans will not play back-to-back games within five days of each other until the MPSF Championships.But the Trojans know that it’s important to keep focus and take advantage of their less physically demanding MPSF schedule.“We’re really taking this opportunity when we have just one game a week to get in the best shape that we can,” Burton said. “The coaches have planned a really intense training schedule for this week and next week, twice as many morning practices and the afternoon practices are tougher.”A victory over Long Beach State, which would be the Trojan’s 36th consecutive home win, would extend the Trojans all-time record against the 49ers to 56-15.Long Beach State’s senior center Jeff Greenwood was their leading scorer last season, and will head a balanced 49er attack that also features last season’s third team All-MPSF senior goalie Dereck Weibe-Bailey.The same 49ers team that looked so dangerous before the two teams first met will come to campus holding a grudge, which makes them even more dangerous in the eyes of the experienced Trojans.“They’re always fierce competitors. They’ll definitely come with a chip on their shoulder. I’m sure they don’t appreciate what we did to them last time,” Burton said.
President Trump addresses the United Nations this morning. Watch live coverage from CBSN starting at 9;15 AM
Chelsea Ladies 3 Sydney FC 2Laura Coombs, Eni Aluko and Yuki Ogimi scored as Chelsea Ladies secured their place in the final of the International Women’s Club Championship.Chelsea, who only arrived in Japan on Sunday, were up against it early on against a side who had already played once since landing in Okayama and are midway through their domestic season, and it showed with Jodie Taylor and Leena Khamis both going close in the opening exchanges.But after weathering the Sydney storm Chelsea struck with 10 minutes of the half remaining.A passing move involving Danni Buet, Aluko and Rosella Ayane eventually ended up at the feet of midfielder Coombs, who shifted the ball onto her left boot and unleashed a fantastic low drive into the bottom corner from 20 yards.Sydney responded well and almost found a leveller, only for Taylor’s header to bounce on top of the crossbar before being diverted away.The second half started as the first had ended, with Sydney again forcing the pace, but once more Chelsea stood firm and they doubled their advantage in the 52nd minute as Aluko pounced.Japanese star and Chelsea skipper Ogimi crashed a free-kick from the edge of the box against the bar and after the ball was only partially cleared Aluko kept her nerve to plant her shot in to the back of the net from 18 yards.The Blues were in total control from then on and six minutes later it was 3-0 as recent recruit Rachel Williams played a delightful through-ball in to the path of Ogimi, who showed why she is the running for the Ballon d’Or as she skipped round keeper Casey Du Mont and rolled the ball home.Sydney refused to throw in the towel and pulled one back in the 75th minute as Renee Rollason’s free-kick from all of 25 yards had enough pace and bend to beat the outsretched arm of Chelsea keeper Marie Hourihan.There was then a twist in the tale as the referee controversially awarded Sydney an indirect free-kick eights yards from goal and Taylor expertly lofted the ball in to the back of the net to set up a grandstand finish with nine minutes remaining.But Sydney were unable to complete the comeback and Chelsea will now head to Tokyo for Sunday’s final where they will face Japanese double winners INAC Kobe Leonessa, who overcame South American side Colo Colo 3-0 in the other semi-final.Chelsea Ladies: Marie Hourihan; Danni Buet, Emma Wilhelmsson, Laura Bassett, Hannah Blundell; Rosella Ayane (Drew Spence 80), Laura Coombs, Allie Long, Rachel Williams (Jodie Brett 80), Eniola Aluko (sub Laura Rafferty 90); Yuki Ogimi.Subs not used: Mai Hanno, Aya Noguchi, Megan Sargeant. See also:Chelsea Ladies treat youngsters to training session in JapanChelsea Ladies targeting final in TokyoNew-look Chelsea keen to gel in 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
The travel plans for thousands of holidaymakers have been thrown into disarray by the ash cloud from the eruption of Mt Rinjani on the island of Lombok, adjacent to Bali.Indonesian authorities have been forced to close both Bali and Lombok airports till at least Friday Nov 6th.And volcanologists have warned that the eruption may last for some time with the last one in 2009 lasting 18 months.Bali airport handles 300 international and domestic flights a day and 40,000 passengers.Indonesian authorities closed the airport at 11pm Tuesday night and the ban applies till Friday morning when the situation will be reassessed.Virgin Australia and Jetstar have cancelled all flights till Friday.The airline says that passengers whose flights have been cancelled will be advised of their new flight details via SMS or email, or they can contact the Guest Contact Centre on 07 3119 7019 (from Australia), 00 1803 061 2002 (from Indonesia).Virgin Australia is also advising passengers currently in Bali not to travel to Denpasar Airport without a confirmed rebooked flight.It said that it will “continue to monitor the movement of the ash cloud from Mt Rinjani in Lombok, with the latest information from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC) and will resume flying as soon as it is safe to do so.”Jetstar added that once it had resumed flights, it will schedule additional services to enable customers to travel to or from Bali.Volcanic ash clouds have wreaked havoc with aircraft — shutting down engines and blocking critical speed sensors, rendering critical flight control systems useless.According to Boeing, there have been over 90 serious ash encounters over the past 30 years.The most serious was a British Airways flight from Kuala Lumpur to Perth in June 1982 when a Boeing 747 flew into the thick ash cloud from Mt Galunggung in Indonesia.It took the crew an agonising 13 minutes to get the engines restarted while the plane descended from 37,000 feet to just 13,500 feet.Less dramatic but potentially more serious is the damage to aircraft systems. If volcanic ash fouls the critical pitot tubes, the indicated airspeed can decrease or fluctuate erratically and affect flight computers.Last year a Jetstar flight from Perth to Jakarta flew at night through unexpected volcanic ash, leaving the airline with a $20 million damages bill.Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority warned Australian airlines earlier this year to stay away from the ash cloud because of the danger to passengers, crew and possible damage to the plane.FAA Bali Notam
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth manager Howe dismisses Man Utd Wilson rumoursby Paul Vegas21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth manager Eddie Howe has dismissed transfer speculation around Callum Wilson.The 27-year-old has scored five Premier League goals so far, and reports have suggested he will be on Manchester United’s wanted list when the transfer window opens again in January.”I take with a pinch of salt, to be honest, at this stage of the season,” Howe said when asked about the reports around Wilson’s future.”There is nothing that we can do, that Callum can do, other than perform well. That influences rumours and things like that at this stage of the season.”He has just got to focus on his next game and give his best for this club.”To hear transfer links and rumours at this stage when the window is shut and a long way from being open, for me, it is pointless talking about it.”
Dybala happier at Juventus under coach Sarriby Carlos Volcano17 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePaulo Dybala says he’s happy at Juventus under coach Maurizio Sarri.The striker feels more comfortable with Sarri than predecessor Max Allegri.He said, “I wanted to stay, I wanted to play here and continue my career at Juve. I think I can still give a lot and I showed a glimpse of that against Inter.“I feel less weight on my shoulders and very calm mentally. I was convinced that with Sarri, I’d start to have fun, work and prove what I’m worth. And that’s what I’m trying to do.“Sarri and Allegri have different ways of playing, and it shows. With Allegri we did so many things, but I think we play a bit more attacking with Sarri and we play the ball more.“After that, of course, we’ll have to see what happens during the season. My goal was important, for the team and I, to score at that moment, for how we got to the game.“They’d never lost in the League and now we’re the only unbeaten team in Europe: when it comes to Juventus, sometimes you need to have a bit of respect.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
GLENDALE, AZ – JANUARY 01: Running back Ezekiel Elliott #15 of the Ohio State Buckeyes runs up field during the first half of the BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 1, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images)The following question is one many Ohio State fans have likely pondered about. What would you do if you saw Jim Harbaugh in the street? Former Buckeyes’ star running back Ezekiel Elliott was asked that today during an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show. Unfortunately, his response is pretty tame. Elliott, a potential top 10 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, says he would say “nothing” to the Michigan head coach. “Nothing.” – Dan asked @EzekielElliott what he would say to Jim Harbaugh if he saw him on the street.— Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) April 26, 2016What will Ohio State fans say to Harbaugh when they see him on the sidelines at Ohio Stadium this fall? We can’t wait to find out. The Buckeyes and the Wolverines are set to finish the 2016 regular season in Columbus on Nov. 26.