Record level of interest in exemption from Irish consultation

first_img DL Debate – 24/05/21 Twitter Twitter Previous articleAbbott leading investment for IDA Ireland in 2018Next articleDonegal nursing home group win €10m investment News Highland Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Google+ Facebook There’s said to be a record level of public interest in the consultation on exemptions from Irish in schools.Education Minister Joe McHugh has now extended the consultation period with over 2,100 responses already submitted to the online survey.The consultation is seeking views on the way students can apply to be exempted from the study of Irish in schools.The closing date for submissions is now Friday January 18th.Education Minister Joe McHugh says, the current legislation which dates back to the 1990s needs to be updated to meet the needs of modern society:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/mcgfhgfhgfhgfhugh1pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Harps come back to win in Waterford center_img Pinterest WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ AudioHomepage BannerNews By News Highland – January 4, 2019 Pinterest FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Record level of interest in exemption from Irish consultation News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24thlast_img read more

Tipp sides reach next stage of Junior Cup

first_imgPhoto © Pixabay The game between Nenagh Celtic and Peake Villa was called off. Cahir Park and St Michael’s have both progressed to the next round of the Munster Junior Cup.Cahir were 2 – 1 winners over Avondale of Cork in their 4th round clash – the Cahir goals coming from Shane Murphy and Benny Ryan.The Saints hammered St Saviours of Waterford 4 – 0.last_img

Over 350 dismissed sugar workers received no severance payout

first_imgBy Shemuel FanfairOf the 4763 sugar workers who were made redundant by the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) as part of that State entity’s restructuring programme, more than 350 who formerly were attached to the Wales Estate did not receive severance payment on Friday, as others across the industry did.This was revealed by former Agriculture Minister, Dr Leslie Ramsammy after a careful investigation into the severance payout to Wales Sugar Estate workers.The National Assembly had, in early November, given approval for almost $2.5 billion to be released to cater for the remaining severance due to 4,723 sugar workers.Government had, earlier this year, opted to pay some workers half of their severance, with the remaining half to be paid in the latter part of the year.The Department of Public Information (DPI) announced last week that Government had kept its promise to pay out the remaining fifty percent of severance to those receiving amounts in excess of $500,000 by the end of 2018.In fact, Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo had given all assurances that the Wales workers, who previously were prevented from receiving severance pay by the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU)-filed court action, would receive their outstanding benefits. He also said, via DPI, that Government would respect the ruling of the court and pay interest of between four and six per cent on the outstanding amounts.“Of course we recognise that there is an order from the court which says we pay interest on the amount due, and so we will be paying the interest, which comes up to about $85 million. We are not there to deny the sugar workers…we had to be able to ensure that we have the money, and not dig a deeper hole,” he stated late last month.Contrary to these assurances, Guyana Times  has recently been informed that several Wales cane harvesters involved in that very court case were not paid their severance, which has been paid to their other ex-colleagues.Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo“We ain’t get no severance; we really punishing. Right now I only getting two-day work,” a former sugar worker disclosed. A father of three, this worker is one of over 300 workers involved in the court case against their former employer, in which it is contended that GuySuCo was acting unlawfully by compelling employees to travel 22 miles from their point of origin to work at Uitvlugt on the West Coast of Demerara. Accordingly, the workers refused to take up employment at Uitvlugt before the Wales Estate ceased operating in December 2016. As such, they were left both without jobs and severance, as GuySuCo’s timeframe in which they were told to make a decision had passed.President of GAWU, Komal Chand, has confirmed what other sources have relayed to Guyana Times, having noted that, indeed, those former Wales Estate workers have not been paid.“They did not pay them despite [the Prime Minister] saying they would receive their pay. I know that they paid some of them, but those were the ones who had to get the other portion of their severance,” the official disclosed on Sunday.A separate source familiar with the payout revealed that the payments for the unpaid set of Wales cane harvesters have already been calculated, though it is unclear why the ex-workers remain without their legally entitled benefits as outlined in the Termination of Employment and Severance Pay Act (TESPA).In a DPI report on Friday, the entity said it visited Wales and Enmore Estates, where former workers turned out early. At the Enmore Community Development Ground, several welcomed the receipt of severance payments.Clifton Nedd, a retrenched worker, “expressed his satisfaction” with the payment, noting that it came just in time for the holidays. “Well, I feel very good, because I was waiting a very long time, and now everything happened,” he said.“I am happy about it, because when they paid the first half a lot of people comment about it, but I say that every disappointment does be for a good,” said Marlene Licorish, who has started selling homemade chips to make a living.Retrenched Enmore Estate worker Sheldon Younge told the Department of Public Information that, following the closure of the estate, he has been operating his own business.Other workers were quoted as saying that, since the closure of the estates, they have been adjusting, with some of them seeking employment with private companies.Numerous former workers were gathered outside the Wales Estate’s administrative building, including Joseph Persaud, who “welcomed” the final payment and said he was currently doing cash crop farming. Ramphal, who had been employed with GuySuCo for 23 years, said he would still like to get into farming, despite already finding work in general construction.Some of the former workers disclosed that they would be investing their payouts. Rohan Sugrim from Wales Estate, who had been with GuySuco for twelve years, said he would use some for the Christmas holidays, and “invest some” in the New Year.DPI’s report claimed many also benefited from alternative livelihood programmes designed to equip them with skills to seek employment in different areas, such as sewing, cosmetology, caring for the elderly, catering, mechanical and electrical works, and small business management.However, Guyana Times has been reporting that many of these very workers are finding great difficulty in obtaining consistent and well-paying employment.last_img read more

Comair spends $646m on new Boeings

first_img7 February 2011South African aviation group Comair has ordered eight next-generation Boeing 737-800s, worth approximately US$646-million (about R4.67-billion) at list prices, in order to update the fleet of its low-fare airline, kulula.com.The new aircraft will all feature the new Boeing Sky interior, which includes new stowage bins, new sidewalls, a new LED lighting system, new ceiling panels, and new air vents. Other new features that passengers will feel are a quieter cabin, intuitive placement of switches and call buttons for alerting flight attendants.“The purchase of new Boeing 737-800s is historic for our company and gives all our 1 800 staff a great feeling of pride,” Comair joint CEO Gidon Novick said in a statement this week.“The new fleet is an essential part of our efficiency drive, which will not only give us a cost leadership position in our industry, but also provide our customers with exceptional levels of reliability and comfort with the spacious new interior.”The new aircraft are more fuel-efficient, technologically advanced, require lower maintenance and are more eco-friendly as they give off fewer carbon emissions.The credit guarantee for the transaction, which will cover all eight aircraft, was secured via the Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank). Ex-Im Bank is the official export credit agency of the United States federal government, and provides credit guarantees for financing and insuring foreign purchases of United States goods.Maintenance Performance ToolboxIn addition to its 737-800 order, Comair is purchasing the Maintenance Performance Toolbox, which improves an airline’s fleet efficiency by integrating manufacturer and customer documentation, use of intelligent graphics, cross-document searching and linking aircraft fault data to specific maintenance actions.It also provides a comprehensive structural repair history for each airplane while reducing the time needed to find tail-specific technical information in time-critical situations, such as line maintenance troubleshooting and dispatch.“Comair is an amazing success story, as this airline company has posted operating profits each year since it was founded in 1946,” said Boeing Commercial Airplanes sales and marketing vice president Marlin Dailey. “Today’s order demonstrates the value the 737-800 has already brought to its fleet and the confidence Comair has in this airplane.”Company ‘has come full circle’Launched in 2001 as South Africa’s first low-fare carrier, kulula.com currently operates an all-Boeing fleet of ten 737s, including three leased 737-800s. Comair also operates as a franchise partner of British Airways, with thirteen 737 airplanes flying domestically in South Africa and regionally in Southern Africa.“We’ve reached a new and exciting stage in the life of Comair, and we are pleased to welcome the new additions to our fleet, which sees us keeping abreast of technological advances while ensuring the ongoing comfort and safety of our customers,” said Novick.“Our company has really come full circle from when we started operations with turbo aircraft, then moving to MD82s and onto 737-200s.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Amazon Introduces an Ad-Supported Kindle (Proving an E-Reader Is Just an Ad for a Bookstore)

first_imgRelated Posts Amazon is also introducing “AdMash,” a new free Kindle app and website where “customers choose the most attractive and engaging display advertisements that will become Kindle sponsored screensavers,” which the press release notes will be presented on the Kindle’s high-contrast, no-glare electronic-ink display. Special.The $25 discount doesn’t really feel like a good trade-off for customers who are willing to tolerate advertising on their Kindle. (Are folks willing to tolerate ads in their e-readers? It seems like more publishers are toying with the idea that they are.) Granted, I frown at this as someone who goes out of her way to block ads on websites and as someone who’s willing to spend the extra money to buy an app rather than use a free, ad-supported version. But those apps typically mean the difference between free and a couple of bucks. I’m not sure the behavior or the price-point is comparable to a piece of hardware.My initial reaction to the new Kindle might be much ado about nothing. After all, the Kindle isn’t much more than a piece of hardware that advertises the Amazon bookstore itself.Earlier this year, Wired co-founder Kevin Kelly speculated that the continual decline in Kindle pricing suggested that the device would be offered for free by Amazon this fall. But free isn’t the same as ad-supported. And a $25 discount to have an ad-supported device seems even less special. audrey watters Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#Amazon#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Amazon has just announced that it’s releasing a new Kindle: “Kindle with Special Offers.” This version is $25 off the regularly priced e-reader (that is, for $114 instead of $139), because those “special offers” include advertising.The e-books themselves won’t have ads in them, but the home screen and the screensaver will. Sponsors for the first series of screensavers include Buick, Proctor & Gamble, and Visa.Ads themselves hardly qualify as “special” and neither does the rather paltry discounted price. But to sweeten the deal, Amazon says there will be “special offers” available to these Kindle owners, including half-off Amazon Gift cards, discounted Audible books and Amazon mp3 albums, and a $10 credit when you buy one of 30 Kindle bestsellers with your Visa card.last_img read more

10 months agoTottenham midfield Winks hopes for ‘perfect’ Arsenal revenge

first_imgTottenham midfield Winks hopes for ‘perfect’ Arsenal revengeby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham Hotspur midfielder Harry Winks says Tottenham Hotspur will be looking for revenge when they face Arsenal in the EFL Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday. The Gunners beat Spurs 4-2 in the north London derby earlier this month.”It’s a massive game for us,” Winks toldStandard Sport. “It’s come quickly after we lost to them two weeks ago, so there’s going to be revenge on our minds. We want to put it right and, obviously, it’s a good opportunity to progress in a cup.”That defeat was difficult to take. It’s never nice losing to anyone, especially our rivals at their ground. It was disappointing for us, the fans, the club, but we’ve put it right with our results since in the League and the Champions League. It’s important we do the same on Wednesday.”Us players treat every game in every competition as important as the next. We want to win every cup we’re involved in. The League Cup is no different. Beating Arsenal is the perfect opportunity to progress to the semi-finals.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

25 days agoMan City midfielder Rodri: You can’t relax here

first_imgMan City midfielder Rodri: You can’t relax hereby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City midfielder Rodri is confident he will improve.Pep Guardiola has been enthused by the £60million summer signing’s performances but Rodri admitted he still has much to learn.Fernandinho and Mikel Arteta have become big influences in his opening weeks at the Etihad Stadium since moving from Atletico Madrid.”Sometimes I’d be a bit relaxed like in Spain but here you don’t have it,” Rodri said. “In Spain we say slow down but here you can’t. I need those matches to adapt but I like it.”Fernandinho has helped me. He taught me a little bit. It’s not easy to be in this team. He has a lot of experience. I have lots of things to learn.”I’m not used to this position. We don’t have many defensive players. I like this. I think it’s the best position I fit in most.”The first matches can be difficult. I’ll get better of course. The fact I play alone with no other defensive midfielder. It’s a challenge for me. I have to read the games and learn this position.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Empowerment Week for Students in St. Elizabeth

first_imgThe St. Elizabeth Homecoming Foundation will launch its Students’ Empowerment Week at the Newell High School on Monday, November 5, where it will run until November 15. Some 100 persons from different sectors of the society will share their experiences with students at all the schools in the parish during the period. The programme will seek to empower students to: develop positive values and attitudes; and emphasise the importance of acquiring a good education for personal development to enhance national development. Head of the Foundation, Donna Parchment-Brown, said the initiative will be very “inspirational for the children and the teachers to have St. Elizabethans come in and honour the school for the day.” “They will talk about what they do, and how they fulfill their own ambitions. It is very good for St. Elizabethans to reconnect with the youth and their schools. Our objective is to strengthen that connection, and hopefully inspire the schools to do greater work,” Mrs. Parchment-Brown told JIS News. Principal of the Newell High School, Lackett Cuff, said the school community is pleased with the planned activity, as it can boost the students’ approach to learning. He is also suggesting that the participants explore establishing long term relationships with the institutions, through scholarships and bursaries. “We are extremely happy for this initiative, and as an educator I am fully supportive of the gesture, because I believe that the students can derive benefit from this programme. A number of these individuals are persons with whom they (students) can associate; it will serve as a motivation to our students, as some of these individuals have come from similar humble beginnings,” Mr. Cuff said. “To see them achieve success, it can be a way of helping them to understand the value of education, and to take schooling very seriously,” the Principal said, adding that the support could be expanded into mentorship programme. The Students’ Empowerment Week is part of the Foundation’s Homecoming activities that are held annually to promote achievements of the parish, to boost the economy, and to motivate individuals to move forward.last_img read more