RelatedPosts Cleric urges Christians to avoid ill-gotten wealth to attain greatness in life It’s unfair to discuss 2023 election now, opposition tells Enugu PDP After 13 years of enmity, Enugu ex-Governors in closed door meeting Rangers International FC of Enugu has assured its supporters of a convincing win over their CAF Confederation Cup opponents, Pyramid FC of Egypt on Sunday.Rangers will trade tackles with Pyramid FC of Egypt in the first match of the group stage of the ongoing Confederation Cup in Enugu.The club’s Media Officer, Norbert Okolie, gave the assurance while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Enugu.“We are well prepared for the Sunday match and I know that people will be apprehensive of our preparedness.“Rangers is at the top of the game and as I speak to you, we have had a couple of training under the new technical adviser, Salisu Yusuf.“I am sure that the players are quickly getting acquainted with the coach’s new tactics.“The coach made it clear on his first day in training that football is a simple business and that he is going to introduce one or two tactics,” he said.Okolie said that his discussion with the players after their training on Thursday showed that they were already in one page with the technical crew’s tactics.“My discussion with some players on Thursday showed that they find the coach tactics easy and simply to apply.“The players assured me that they are going to do everything the coach instructs them so that, they will get out of the precarious situation the club has found itself in.“As for me, the management, the technical crew and the players have nothing to fear about the visiting Egyptian team.“I urge our supporters to come out en masse to cheer our darling club to victory over Pyramid as the players are ready to put smiles on their faces,” Okolie assured.NAN reports that Rangers is pitted alongside Pyramid, Al Masary Soccer Club of Egypt and Nouadhibou FC of Mauritania in Group A.Tags: CAF Confederation CupEnugu StatePyramid FCRangers FC
RelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Son fires four past Southampton Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp has brushed aside comparisons to Arsenal’s famous “Invincibles’’ squad and urged his players to focus solely on Saturday’s English Premier League trip to Tottenham Hotspur.Victory at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will take Liverpool’s points tally to 61 from 21 matches. This will be 12 points more than Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal at the same stage in 2003-04 when they completed an entire season unbeaten. Liverpool are also unbeaten so far this season and 13 points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand. But Klopp said he would not allow his players to get distracted by the prospect of setting new benchmarks. “The only thing I can say is if we thought about any kind of record, we would not have won the number of games we have won so far. That’s it,” Klopp told a news conference on Friday. “I think in sport —- and you probably have to ask other teams who have done it before —- they have never set a record because they wanted to set a record. “It just happened because of being focused on each step we make and that is what we have to do. “My problem at this moment is Tottenham, the way they play, the way we think they will play and all that stuff. That’s the only thing I am concerned about. Nothing else.” Klopp confirmed playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri is fit and available for selection this weekend but ruled out injured midfielders James Milner and Naby Keita .Tags: Arsene WengerJurgen KloppLiverpoolNaby KeitaTottenham HotspurXherdan Shaqiri
Tyson Fury against Deontay Wilder could be heading to the Chinese gambling mecca of Macau.The third fight between the heavyweight pair was pencilled in for Las Vegas on July 18 before the coronavirus pandemic. But with fears growing mass gatherings will be banned in the US and UK until next year, the trilogy clash could now be heading to the “Las Vegas of Asia” in November or December.Fury’s UK promoter Frank Warren revealed over the weekend that there is interest from a Far East territory in hosting the fight.Daily Star Sport understands that has come from Macau and those involved in the fight are awaiting an official offer.The financial deal will have to be at least an eight-figure one to tempt the organisers into bringing the bout to the region.But concerns have been growing about the loss of revenue if Fury and Wilder was staged behind closed doors in the US should crowds be banned until 2021. Fury’s seventh-round stoppage win over Wilder to win the WBC title took in £13.8 million at the MGM Grand Garden Arena gate.That broke the record for a heavyweight fight in Las Vegas and was a huge chunk of the money earned for the fight.So now organisers are open to taking the bout on the road and, with China more likely to allow mass gatherings at sporting events before the US and UK, they have made an initial move.Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum informed Warren of the interest late last week.Arum has staged fights in Macau before as he took Manny Pacquiao there to fight Brandon Rios and Chris Algieri in 2013 and 2014 respectively. The US promoter was also due to bring WBO and WBC light-welterweight champion Jose Ramirez against Viktor Postol to Hainan in China on February 1 before the virus shut down the country.Fury is contractually obliged to face Wilder in a third fight owing to the agreement before their second meeting on February 22.Wilder’s camp have dismissed any talk of taking a financial offer to step aside to allow Fury to take on WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua next.So Fury’s team are keen to get the third Wilder fight on for this year despite the uncertainty around the sport due to coronavirus.RelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk China waste treatment plant fined $16m for dumping untreated waste Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Tags: ChinaDeontay WilderLas VegasMacauTyson Fury
RelatedPosts Bayern Munich fans undergo Super Cup coronavirus tests Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Antonio Conte will stay on as coach at Italian Serie A club side Inter Milan next season, ending speculation they may part company following last week’s Europa League final defeat.Conte’s occasional angry outbursts saw him clash with the club’s senior executives during his first season in charge, when Inter Milan finished second to Juventus in Serie A. They went on to lose 2-3 to Sevilla in the Europa League final on Friday.“The Club and Antonio Conte had a constructive meeting today (Tuesday), focused on continuity and strategy, in which the two parties laid the foundations to continue working together on the Club’s project,” Inter Milan said in a statement on Tuesday.The 51-year-old ex-Italy coach joined Inter Milan after winning three Serie A titles with Juve and the Premier League with Chelsea.Reuters/NAN.Tags: Antonio ConteEuropa LeagueInter MilanJuventusMilanSerie ASEVILLA
Any remaining hope Reading had of beating the drop appeared to be extinguished as Nigel Adkins’ first home match at the helm ended in a 2-0 defeat to former club Southampton. Press Association Goals from Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana proved the difference at the Madejski Stadium as Saints ran out comfortable winners, condemning the bottom-placed Royals to a seventh successive defeat. The result leaves the Berkshire side seven points adrift of safety with just six matches remaining, making an immediate return to the npower Championship increasingly likely. Talk in the build-up was about Adkins exacting revenge on the club that so harshly disposed of his services 78 days ago, despite having led Saints to back-to-back promotions. However, after weathering the Royals’ early pressure, it was successor Mauricio Pochettino that enjoyed the spoils as Saints won a third successive Premier League match for the first time since 2003. As Reading upped the ante Adam Le Fondre was guilty of wasting a decent effort, blazing over after Saints’ attempts to clear a free-kick saw the ball land kindly for him. Adkins’ side returned to the attack and felt they should have had a penalty, only for referee Mike Jones to wave away the appeals that followed Jos Hooiveld’s challenge on Hal Robson-Kanu. The opener in the 34th minute owed as much to poor defending as fine attacking play, with an impressive team move ending with Rodriguez playing a one-two with Rickie Lambert before bundling home through Adam Federici’s legs. The Australian goalkeeper should have done better and was beaten by Rodriguez again, only for his strike to rattle the crossbar. Rodriguez has shone since Pochettino’s arrival on the south coast and that confidence was epitomised two minutes from half-time, showing incredible pace to burst past the Reading backline. Federici did well to save the striker’s right-footed shot when clear on goal, with Ramirez putting the follow up just wide. Much like the opening period, the hosts were again quicker to settle but failed to turn possession into clear-cut opportunities. That allowed Saints to return to the attack and, after Federici easily dealt with a tame Steven Davis effort, a fine driven Rodriguez cross just evaded Lambert at the far post. Le Fondre struck wide as Reading searched for an equaliser, although Saints were still looking dangerous themselves. After striking an audacious 25-yard effort wide, Rodriguez put through substitute Lallana to slot home at Federici’s near post to send the 2,216 visiting fans into raptures. It was no less than Pochettino’s side deserved but Reading thought they had pulled one back through Le Fondre. Boruc spilled the former Rotherham forward’s header but was adjudged to have stopped the ball crossing the line, much to the home fans’ annoyance. Saints substitute Guly do Prado should have found the target in stoppage time.
Nigel Adkins refuses to accept defeat in Reading’s battle to stay in the Barclays Premier League, despite conceding their outlook is bleak. The Royals, who are eight points adrift of safety with six games remaining, host Liverpool on Saturday knowing an eighth successive loss in the competition would all but doom them to relegation. Yet Adkins insists hope remains provided they can stage a late revival, drawing on last season’s drive for promotion from the npower Championship as inspiration. “We are where we are in the league, let’s not hide away from that. We face an uphill task but all we can do is focus on one game at a time,” he said. “We have to have the mentality of playing winning football and keep looking to the future. The momentum has gone against us with the run of results we’ve had recently, so we need to see if we can establish some momentum. “Last season this club showed in the Championship that if you get the right momentum you can go the other way as well.” Adkins has lost all three matches since becoming manager last month and Reading chairman Sir John Madejski has revealed he would not have sacked his predecessor Brian McDermott. Madejski also stated that some Royals fans prefer the Championship to the Premier League, which he described as “bit of a procession”, but Adkins wants to spend another season in the top flight. “I was as gobsmacked as anyone when Brian was relieved of his duties but that’s football. And I speak from my own experience,” the former Southampton boss said. “This is my first season in the Premier League and I’ve loved every second of it. It’s where I want to ply my trade. “We have several games left and we’ll see where we are at the end of the season, but my desire is to make sure Reading stay here. If we’re not in the Premier league next season, we’ll strive to get ourselves back in straightaway.” Press Association
Vitesse Arnhem have denied reports striker Wilfried Bony is set to make an imminent move to Barclays Premier League Swansea. The 24-year-old Ivory Coast international is one of a number of players Swansea have tabled bids for over the last couple of weeks, with the Welsh club’s offer understood to be around the £10million mark. Bony’s agent, Francis Kacou, had told Arnhem newspaper De Gelderlander a £10.2million deal had been done for the top scorer in last season’s Eredivisie. But Vitesse posted a statement on their official website which read: “Various media have reported that Wilfried Bony is to transfer to Premier League club Swansea City. This message is incorrect.” The statement continued: “There is admittedly much interest in the striker, the top scorer in the Eredivisie last season, and Swansea City are one of the interested clubs. However, a transfer is not the case.” Despite Vitesse’s statement, Press Association Sport understands a deal is likely to be completed in the coming days for Bony to become Swansea’s record signing, with the fee being almost double the £5.55million paid for Pablo Hernandez last summer. Swansea are also closing in on the signing of £2million rated Espanyol defender Jordi Amat, while Real Betis midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo is set to join his former team-mate Jose Canas in south Wales. Swansea are also in talks to bring Jonathan de Guzman back to the Liberty Stadium on a second season-long loan, while bids have been lodged for Birmingham winger Nathan Redmond, Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis and Standard Liege forward Michy Batshuayi. Press Association
Press Association Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse is ready to terrorise Barclays Premier League defences once again – as long as he gets to play in his favoured position. He added: “It was difficult last year because we were fighting not to go down. The year before, all of the players enjoyed the games and couldn’t wait for the next one. “We tried our best, but we hopefully will have all of our players back, not too many injuries. “We have a good squad. I enjoy playing for this team. Next season, we will challenge. “We have Hatem Ben Arfa, [Moussa] Sissoko and Yohan Cabaye, and the team can challenge at the higher end of the table.” However, if Newcastle are to mount the kind of challenge they did two seasons ago, they will need to find the man – or men – they need to support Cisse. Pardew’s mission to recruit at least one foil for the former Freiburg man was identified as the main focus this summer long before a disappointing campaign drew to a close. But to date the Magpies, with new director of football Joe Kinnear now heading the hunting party, have been directed up a series of blind alleys. They have been given permission to talk to Wigan’s Arouna Kone, although the Ivorian’s intention to be reunited with former manager Roberto Martinez at Everton appears to have ended their interest. The Senegal international spent the first half of last season playing in an unaccustomed wide right-side role as Demba Ba got the nod through the middle, and memories of his blistering start in English football soon faded. Cisse told the Chronicle: “I hope to play in my best position as much as I can. My best position is striker. I had never played right wing in my life. It was my first time at Newcastle. It was okay because I was doing it for the team.”
Reigning European middleweight champion Jason Quigley secured Ireland’s first medal at the World Championships with a fine points win over Hungarian fourth seed Zoltan Harsca. Press Association And light-heavyweight Joe Ward joined Quigley in guaranteeing a medal when he won his bout against Russian third seed Nikita Ivanov, who was prevented from continuing after sustaining a cut in the first round. But heavyweight Tommy McCarthy lost a split decision to Argentina’s Yamil Peralta, and Olympic bronze medallist Michael Conlan went down to tough Russian Vladimir Nikitin at bantamweight. Paddy Barnes lost a scrappy contest on points to Uzbekistan’s Jasurbek Latipov. Double Olympic bronze medallist Barnes, who had moved up from light-flyweight for the first time, suffered a cut in the first round of a bout in which both men were deducted a point for infringements.
The Red Devils moved up to within striking distance of the top four following a hard-earned 1-0 win at Norwich, where substitute Danny Welbeck made the most of a somewhat fortunate opening at the start of the second half when a ricocheted clearance sent him clear though on goal to kill off what had been a determined challenge from the home side. It was a fourth straight Premier League win for David Moyes’ rejuvenated team, who are also into the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup and last 16 of the Champions League. The United boss accepted Norwich had given his side a stern test during the opening 45 minutes, which saw David De Gea save well from full-back Russell Martin and forward Gary Hooper, while Wes Hoolahan’s goalbound shot was blocked by Jonny Evans. “In the first 10 minutes, I thought we did well, but then we lost our way a little bit,” Moyes said. “I thought when Danny Welbeck came on, he made a massive difference and gave us something slightly different.” Rooney is expected to be available for next week’s game against Spurs, while Moyes also revealed striker Robin van Persie was close to a return from his injury lay-off. “We have needed the squad. We have a big squad here and a good squad,” Moyes said on MUTV. “If you are going to win games away from home then you are going to need them to do their job, and we are going to need them in the coming games as well.” Moyes feels his team have the confidence required to lift themselves and make up their lost ground over the remainder of the campaign. “We have to keep moving on and believing that we are going to catch the teams above us, we have to believe that we are going to go out and win the games,” the Scot added. “We look more likely to score goals and it looks as if we are creating more. The players are getting the bit between their teeth again and I think they are generally doing much better.” Ashley Young has warned the rest of the Barclays Premier League that Manchester United are showing the spirit of champions once again. England forward Young insists the whole club remains focused on the ultimate goal of retaining their crown come May. “It is more the character and the team spirit we have got, to bounce back from defeats and disappointing performances,” the 28-year-old said. “We show that resilience, that strength in depth in the squad, that team spirit – we have got all that off the field, so when you take that onto the field, you win games and we have shown that in the past few performances. “I keep talking about the momentum we are building. As long as we keep playing the way we have, we will keep building that up.” Young continued: “If you were to ask anybody around the club, no-one would have ever said we were out of the title race. “We have to just keep winning games. Our momentum is building now and we have to keep playing as we have done to take those chances which will see us back up the table. “We have another tough game coming up on New Year’s Day against Tottenham, but, hopefully, if we can continue to play the way we have been doing, then we can get another three points.” Moyes made five changes from the 3-2 win at Hull on Boxing Day, with forward Wayne Rooney rested because of a groin problem as Javier Hernandez led the attack while midfielder Michael Carrick came in for a first start since mid-November. Press Association